Saturday, September 5, 2009

I have the Internet right now. This is fabulous, and there is no set time limit, mainly because Marissa and I are in a cafe in the mall La Vaguada that is near our home. All is well, though I must say that my feet have been hurting like a mother (sorry, Mom, I don't mean you). All of the walking that we do each day is so much more than I have done before, and though it is good for my waistline, my feet are fatter than ever.

Today, the group and other folks that are studying at Universidad Nebrija went to Segovia, which is a little less than an hour from Madrid, to the north of Madrid. The wonderful thing about Europe is how old everything is, how much history is in everything that we say. For example, in Segovia, there are Roman aqueducts that are 2000 years old, ornate cathedrals that are more than 500 years old and bathrooms that have a pull chain toilet. Like the one that is in the apartment where I'm living. Today, one thing that really struck me was the there was so much work that went into these gigantic cathedrals and aqueducts. For example, 2000 years ago the Romans had to mathematically calculate without a calculator how to make the aqueduct stand up without concrete. I can't imagine! Woaahhh

This week, we did our fair share of exploring the big sites of the city, including el Sol, Parque Retiro, La Latina, our uniiversity, and Moncloa (but that was only because Marissa and I got very, very lost on our first time to return home from school). Though I have definitely missed the ever-busy life of Furman, I am so glad to be able to take a step back and put things into perspective. Plus, Vicky is our only Spanish friend, which is sad but "so awesome!" -Marissa


Okay, and Marissa and I are going to go to a place about a 10 minute metro ride from our place that is called Pio XII. We are hoping to walk around, grap a cup of coffee and see what everybody else is up to. The neighborhood is very metropolitan, and I've likened it to a European version of Greenville, so naturally I loved it :). We are planning to see Tracy, Catheryne, Meg and Lara. What fun!

PICTURES TO COME ONCE I HAVE INTERNET AND TIME TO UPLOAD! There are so great ones to come, so hang in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment